Outlook Express, the default email client in many Windows operating systems like Windows XP can now be downloaded and installed on your Apple computer. The Outlook Express version 5.0.6 is available for download at the Microsoft’s website. This Outlook Express version is compatible with Mac OS 8.1 to 9.x. According to Microsoft, this version of Outlook Express is free from all security threats and other Outlook Express problems. We will guide you through the steps to install Outlook Express on your Mac.
Before you begin the installation of Outlook express, make sure that your Mac has the configuration suitable for Outlook Express. Outlook Express requires 15 MB of Hard Disk Space and 7 MB of RAM. Since most PCs come with a larger memory, you do not have to worry about that. However, make sure your version of Mac is one between Mac OS 8.1 to 9.x.
Before you begin
- Close down all programs running on your computer. Disable even the antivirus program as it may hinder with the installation.
- Verify that Aladdin Systems StuffIt Expander 5.5 or a later version of it is installed on your Mac. The earlier versions of StuffIt do not support the installation of Outlook Express.
- Note that you have two Outlook Express exe files for download. MacBinary (.bin) and BinHex (.hqx). The size of the bin file is less than that of the hqx file, however the bin file might not be compatible with the earlier Mac versions. On the other hand, hqx is more compatible with the earlier versions.
- Verify that your system has the minimum requirements to install Outlook Express.
- If your computer satisfies the minimum requirements, go to Microsoft website and choose the appropriate file that you wish to download, i.e. hqx or bin.
- Download and save the installation file on your hard disk. Most probably, the file is saved onto your desktop.
- Expand the file that you have downloaded.
- Drag the file to your desktop. The folder is titled as ‘Outlook Express’. The numbers that follow the title is your Outlook version. You can change the location of the downloaded file to a different one later.
- Confirm your installation.
Now with Outlook Express for Mac computers, you can take full advantage of all its features and you are free from all Outlook Express problems experienced by the Microsoft users.