If you are a regular user of the Outlook address book, the idea of transferring data to a new computer may be overwhelming. However, there is no need to re-enter all the information. Here is an easier way to copy your Outlook address book from one computer to another.
If you switch your system, you don’t want to leave your Outlook Address Book behind. While Outlook stores everything including mail and contacts in a complicated file, exporting your Outlook Address Book to another system is pretty easy.
Windows XP has a default email program called Outlook Express. Whenever you switch systems, you would want to transfer important data, like your Outlook Address Book and calendar, from your Outlook express profile. Make sure to export your Outlook address book from the old machine to the new one (if you have relevant data on it). How can you do that? Instructions on how to transfer your Outlook address book from one PC to another is as follows.
Steps to transfer Outlook address book
1) Connect a USB flash drive to your old PC.
2) Launch the Outlook Express application on the old computer.
3) Go to “File” in the top menu bar, expand the “Export” submenu and select “Address Book”.
4) Choose the “Text File” option and hit the “Export” button.
5) Press “Browse,” navigate to your USB flash drive or external hard drive in the pop-up window and then hit “Save.”
6) Disconnect the USB flash drive or external hard drive from your old computer and connect it to the new one.
7) Launch Outlook Express on the new computer.
8) Open the “File” menu at the top of the window, go into the “Import” submenu and choose “Address Book.”
9) Highlight the address book data file on your USB flash drive and hit “Open” to import the data into Outlook Express.
Once you have implemented all these steps, your Outlook address book will be waiting for you on your new PC.
Transfer your Outlook address book from Outlook Express to Microsoft Outlook
Using Outlook Express is enough for most users, but there will come to time when most want something more. After all, it’s a fact of life to strive for more; so naturally, users will want
more features in their email client than just a plain old email client with a basic interface and limited functionality.
So, it’s but expected that eventually users will migrate from Outlook Express to Microsoft Outlook. But, here’s a question that most users have when they plan to switch to Outlook – can you transfer your Outlook address book from Outlook Express to Microsoft Outlook, or are you stuck with Outlook Express since all your important contacts are in it?
Well, this article answers your question with an emphatic ‘Yes’! You can transfer your Outlook address book without any problem. And this process of transferring your Outlook address book is easy too.
Follow these instructions to shift your Outlook address book from Outlook Express to Outlook
- Begin the process of transferring your Outlook address book by first launching Microsoft Outlook. From the Outlook toolbar, click on ‘File’ and on ‘Import and Export’. Under the ‘Choose an action to perform’ heading, click on ‘Import Internet Addresses and Mail’.
- Continue by selecting the heading ‘Select an Internet Mail application to import from’ and then click on ‘Outlook Express’. After this, make sure you’ve only enabled the option ‘Import Address Book’ and disable the others.
- Click on ‘Next’ and you can configure how you’d like Outlook to handle duplicate entries in the same window. Once that’s done, click on ‘Finish’ to let Outlook starting importing your Outlook address book. Once, Outlook finishes importing your Outlook address book to its database, then click OK to finish the whole process.
If followed the steps correctly, you should’ve transferred your Outlook address book contacts without any problems.